How to Find Former Tenant

by Mary Anne Ragragio

Posted on 2019-05-08 13:16:29

finding tenant2.JPG



How to Find Former Tenant


It is difficult sometimes to look for your former tenants who owed you money. And that will make you wonder about what you can do or what steps you should do to look for them.

There are good former tenants that will provide you their new valid address when they leave your apartment. Unfortunately, there are some tenants also who will not provide you the correct information about their new location simply because they are not willing to pay you any more to whatever they owed you that’s why they do not want to be found. And this is a frustrating thing that might happen to any landlord.

However, there are some ways for you to try to find your former tenants. You may try some of the suggestions here that you can possibly do to help you find them.


  • Use U.S. Post Office. One of the things you may try is the “Address Service Requested”, in the US postal service, it is an endorsement line used by the mailer printed on the envelope. It means that if ever the addressee no longer lives on the address indicated on the envelope, the sender wants the mailed piece returned to them, with either a new address or explanation for non-delivery.  


  • Online People Search. It is a way where you search for someone online. There are websites that will help you find someone’s information based on the available public data. You will most likely get lots of information depending on the search engine you will use. You can try to type in the person’s full name and see what information comes up.


  • Another option is that you may try to file an Abstract of Judgment against your tenant. You will have to file it at the courthouse. But you need to know first the county where your former tenant is now located so you would know where to file the Abstract of Judgment. The term “abstract of judgment” in property law, some states use abstract of judgment as a lien on debtor’s property. The lien can only be lifted after paying the debt in full.


  • Another easy way is to contact your former tenant’s friends and family or emergency contacts that you can find from their rental application. There’s a possibility that they will be able to help you get your former tenant’s new address.


  • You may also try to coordinate with the Department of Motor Vehicles, to see if your former tenant has filed a change of address. Take note that not all state allows this kind of action, but this method is a valid way to find a tenant’s new address.


  •  One other way is to try reaching your former tenant’s employer. You may talk to the employer if he can help you make an arrangement with your former tenant and request for debt payment, or at least the new address.


  •  You may try to find them on Facebook, Instagram, Linked, Twitter or other social media channel. Some people who have social media account have more than one account. So if you can find any of their social media accounts, you can try to private message your former tenant; you never know what luck can give you.










Other Recent Posts

  • Tenant's Abandoned Personal Property
  • Tenants Need to Know About Apartment Inspections
  • Tenant's Rights Violated
  • Establishing Rental Standards
  • Common Reasons Tenancy Ends
  • Rent Collection Tips & Techniques
  • To Rent or Not to Rent to Pet Owners
  • Knowing Your Rights as a Tenant
  • Methods of Collecting Rent
  • Most Common Lease Violations
  • The Pros and Cons of Renting
  • Security Deposit FAQs
  • Normal Wear and Tear vs Damage
  • Tenant Qualities that Landlord look for
  • Marketing your Rental Property
  • Advantages and Disadvantages of Homeowners Association
  • Routine Property Inspection
  • Odor in Your Apartment and How To Get Rid of it
  • Tips on Managing Property
  • Late Rent Fee
  • Basic Landlord's Obligations
  • 30 Day Notice
  • Benefits of Paying Your Rent Online
  • Prorated Rent for Tenants
  • Questions to Ask Before Signing a Lease
  • When Tenant Makes Improvements
  • Tax Advantages of Being a Landlord
  • Landlord's Right of Entry
  • A Day in the Life of a Landlord
  • Common Potential Problems Landlord Might Face
  • 6 Ways to Keep Good Tenants
  • Maintenance Requests: Reduce Tenant Complaints and Decrease Liability
  • Ending a Lease Agreement FAQs
  • 8 Ways Renters Can Save Money
  • More Income Streams from Your Properties
  • What Renters Need to Know When the Property is in Foreclosure
  • Ways to Increase the Cash Flow on a Rental Property
  • Documenting Wear and Tear vs Damage
  • Moving Out
  • Landlording, Then and Now
  • Considerations When Running a Virtual Property Management Business
  • Benefits of Air Conditioning
  • Big Guys vs. Little Guys vs. College in Property Management
  • 5 Ways to Show Appreciation to Your Tenants
  • Moving In
  • Reasons Why Landlords Screen Tenant Applicants
  • Will You Allow Smoking in Your Rental Property?
  • Your Roommate Is Moving Out
  • What are the Pros and Cons of Renting to Roommates?