by Aubrey Eisel
Posted on 2019-10-24 20:17:01
Homes can be filled with many different issues, but there are many ways to combat and avoid them. Below are the top five of the most common hazards that can develop in a household.
According to the website "Sciencing", mold is defined as “…one type of fungus. It can measure from two to 10 microns in diameter, making it virtually invisible to the naked eye. When multiple mold spores grow close together they become visible as they spread rapidly across a surface.”
The most common areas that people state they’ve seen mold in is in the bathroom due to the high level of humidity present. However, mold is an allergen and it is good to clean it as soon as possible.
Most types of mold are not so harmful, but the type to avoid is called Stachybotrys. It is black in color and is typically located in areas where a food source is present. If you smell a distinct odor that is musty, be on the lookout. Repeated exposure to this type of mold can result in more severe reactions. If this type of mold is seen anywhere, just contact a professional to remove properly.
Dehumidifiers are your best friend when it comes to mold since this helps keep the area/home dry and helps prevent any mold build-up from occurring. If an exhaust fan isn’t already installed in bathrooms that have showers, be sure to install one.
The definition of asbestos is “any of several minerals (such as chrysotile) that readily separate into long flexible fibers, that cause asbestosis and have been implicated as causes of certain cancers, and that have been used especially formerly as fireproof insulating materials” as written by the Merriam-Webster website. Asbestos had been used as a building material up until recently and is a dangerous carcinogen. However, this is only the case if it is disturbed. Older homes are more likely to have traces found.
If you plan on rehabbing an older home and plan to tear any walls apart, be sure to consult a professional first.
CO, of course, stands for carbon monoxide. If areas in the home near the furnace or kitchen with gas appliances, for example, are not properly ventilated, CO may be present. It is important to have these areas checked thoroughly so no gas leaks are present. As prevention, install CO alarms in these areas of the home (smoke detector/CO detector combos are sold together!).
Fires from common household items are more frequent than you would think. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, seven people perish each day from house fires. The stove is left unattended, or candles being left unattended are some of the causes, but the dryer is also one, too. The build-up of lint can create a hazard, so, make a regular routine of cleaning the vents.
Personally, I always have bathmats in my bathroom to help prevent wet, slippery floors. If the bathtub doesn’t already have a grooved surface, I’ll place a mat in there too to keep from slipping. Injuries due to wet surfaces in the bathroom are common hazards. If you are older, a good item to install would be a grab bar to prevent falling in the bathtub.
Have a Question? Need Help?